The Holiday Slash Fic Archive
// F i c //

Holiday: Thanksgiving
Fandom: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Category: female/female




Feedback: Please, please, please
Distribution: If you want it, take it, but please let me know where it is.
Spoilers: Slight spoilers for Pangs (Season 4) and Family (Season 5), nothing major though.
Rating: G
Disclaimer: Joss Whedon and company own Buffy, The Vampire Slayer and the characters herein. The story and any original characters belong solely to me, the author. No copyright infringement is intended or inferred.
Note: This is my second W/T fic.
Summary: Willow and Tara spend Thanksgiving morning together.



Thanksgiving
by TeresaVilla

Tara awoke early. It was Thanksgiving; a day, that she enjoyed even though her family made it unbearable. The giving thanks for the blessings in one’s lives was something that Tara liked doing.

This year it was going to be different though. This year…….she had so much more to be thankful for……like the beautiful red head sleeping peacefully beside her. She kissed her lightly on the cheek and carefully got out of bed.

Tara had decided several days ago that even though Willow wasn’t too keen on the idea of Thanksgiving she was going to make this a special day for her. Willow had told her a long while ago about her mother’s thinking on the holiday and what had happened last year with the whole Native American spirit thing.

Upon returning from the shower, Tara found Willow and Miss Kitty playing with a ball of string on the bed. They seemed oblivious to her return, so Tara stood silently and drank in the moment. A smile grew, and then she spoke. “Good morning.”

Willow looked up and smiled. “Good morning. No fun waking up alone, ya know?”

“Sorry, just wanted to get an early start today.” She placed her towel on the chair and crossed to the mirror above the sink. Running her fingers through her wet hair she continued. “Don’t we have to be at Xander’s by 3?”

“Yes.” Willow said, pulling the string away from Miss Kitty as the feline started to pounce on it. “But, it’s only 8. That’s what…” She paused counting, “Eight hours from now? Plenty of time. Plenty of time for……..”

Willow tossed the ball of string slightly away from Miss Kitty and slid off the bed. She crossed the room and came to rest behind Tara. She embraced her lover and rested her chin on Tara’s shoulder. Tara smiled, and melted into the embrace.

“There is always plenty of time for………that. But, I kinda……..I wanted to show you some things today. You know, before we go over to Xander’s.” Tara said.

Willow stayed silent for a moment then answered, “Okay. I’m not so big on this Thanksgiving thing.”

“I know.” Tara paused. Willow looked up to the mirror and met Tara’s eyes. “But, I want to share some things with you. OK?”

“Anything for you.” Willow said then kissed Tara on the cheek. “Just give me a few minutes to get ready.”

Willow picked up a small cloth bag and grabbed a towel from the rack on the wall. Before Tara could say anything Willow had disappeared.

Tara and Willow walked hand in hand down the street. It was a sunny morning and a little on the cool side. Not a cloud in the sky and barely anyone on the streets.

“So where are you taking me?” Willow queried.

“You’ll see.” Tara said. “It’s not exactly what I had wanted to do, but it’s kinda hard to find some things in Sunnydale that they would have from where I am from. So bare with me OK?”

Willow’s curiosity was growing by the minute. She could see the happiness in Tara’s eyes and tried to be patient while Tara led her to their destination.

A few moments longer and they were standing in front of a diner. It was open much to Tara’s relief. She wasn’t sure the waitress had been right about their hours for Thanksgiving even though they had been open last year.

Tara looked at Willow. “I know. It’s just a diner, but it has some meaning to me. I wanted to tell you about it over breakfast.”

“Okay.” Willow said, eagerly awaiting the story.

They entered the diner to find them to be the only patrons there. A waitress was leaning on the counter in the corner watching tv. She glanced in the girls’ direction and went back to watching tv.

“Here.” Tara said pointing to a booth to their right. “She’ll come get our order in a minute.”

Willow followed her girlfriend to the booth and slid in first, then Tara slid in next to her. The sun coming through the window warmed them.

Willow picked up the menu at the end of the table and began looking it over. The smell of coffee was almost overwhelming as she continued to read the menu.

“The waffles are awesome.” Tara said smiling. “I got them last year.”

Willow looked away from the menu to Tara. “Last year?”

“Yeah. I came her last year for Thanksgiving. It’s a kinda family tradition for me. I mean a mom/daughter thing.”

“Tara…..”Willow began but was interrupted by the waitress.

“What can I get you two?” She smacked her gum waiting for a reply. Looking down at Tara, “Hey, you were here last year.”

“Yeah.” Tara said. “I’ll have the waffles and a cup of hot chocolate.”

Willow sat in silence for a moment, then said. “I’ll have the same.”

“I’m glad to see you have a friend to spend the holiday with, honey.” The waitress said, then quickly added. “It’ll be right up.”

Tara watched the waitress leave, then turned to Willow. “Okay. Ever since I was a little girl my mom would take me out for breakfast at some little diner not too far from where we lived. It gave us a chance to spend time together. A time away from the family. We spent the morning eating waffles, talking, and watching the Thanksgiving Day parades. It wasn’t really allowed at home, but some how, every year mom and me made it out of the house to spend a few hours together before the ‘family’ showed and we had to do the Thanksgiving thing.” She paused, reminiscing. “I hope you don’t mind doing this. It’s just something I wanted to share with you. Thanksgiving has always held a kind of special place for me. I’ve always been thankful for my mother. This year I have so much more to be thankful for. So much more.” Tara reached for Willow’s hand and squeezed it gently.

Willow smiled. “Mind? How could you think I would mind, ya big dummy?” A huge grin washes over her, teeth are everywhere. Taking hold of Tara’s hands and comforting them, “I’m very happy that you wanted to share this special tradition with me.” She leaned into Tara and kissed her gently. “I have so much to be thankful for this year too.” She kissed Tara again. “I love you.”